Monday, March 4, 2013

NYU Tisch Sophomore Class Presents: Little Women, the Musical

Some of you are probably thinking, "Little Women...a musical? Huh?" Well, I can assure you I thought the same thing when my voice teacher offered me a ticket to see a production of it at NYU's Tisch School of the Arts. I didn't know much about the book, let alone the musical, so it was a very new experience for me.

I left Tisch's black box theatre completely amazed on Sunday night. For those of you who don't know, Little Women follows the life Jo March and her three sisters, Meg, Beth and Amy. They live with their mother Marmee, who must take care of them while their father serves in the Union Army. Jo wants to be a writer, but her "blood and guts" stories don't appeal to the publishers who have read them. The sisters deal with love, identity, and a bond between them that grows stronger every minute. For you musical theatre buffs, Sutton Foster played Jo when Little Women first opened on Broadway.

The sophomore class totally blew my mind with their talent and conviction. I judge an actor by how much or how little I question their transformation into their character. I did not question any actor on that stage. Each one portrayed their characters perfectly. My voice teacher works at Tisch, and hadtwo students in the production. One was Mia Bergstrom, playing Meg, and the other Grace Ellen, playing Mrs. Kirk. The voices were phenomenal, the acting superb, and production overall one of the best I've seen. I was lucky enough to watch their closing night, or i might have otherwise missed this brilliant piece of theatre. Bravo, sophomore class, you've impressed many in your run of Little Women. Well, you certainly impressed me.

-Matt, 16
Stamford High School
President of NPT Youth Board

No comments:

Post a Comment