Monday, October 13, 2014

RENT Thrives at Curtain Call

On October 11th, my family and I got tickets to see Curtain Call's production Jonathan Larson's RENT. The show had a five weekend run and was sold out a majority of the shows, closing night included. The original Broadway musical ran for 12 years on Broadway, but after having an Off-Broadway run and a run at NYMF in 1994 (20 years ago). I'll include some of the Curtain Call Executive Director's Welcome Letter, for it basically said every reason why I love this musical:
"And today, eight years after this landmark musical finished its original run, the topics are still controversial; the language is still a bit blue; and the message is still so important: that in the midst of difficult circumstance, you can choose love, you can choose life, you can embrace the community, you can choose kindness."

Poster from the Broadway Run of RENT
At Curtain Call, the principal cast was:
Ben McCormack as Roger Davis
Richard Cummings as Mark Cohen
Nic Anthony Calabro as Tom Collins
Kevin Thompson as Benjamin Coffin III
Saige Bryan as Joanne Jefferson
Rachel Schulte as Maureen Johnson
Demerre Files as Angel Dumott Shunard

The production was directed and choreographed by Debra Lee Failla and musical directed by Peter Randazzo.

This production was not your average production. Their set was very different from many productions, though it had a similar essence. The blocking was unique, and the choreography was all original. In some ways, it worked. In other ways, it didn't. Something I enjoyed was "Over the Moon". Maureen (singing lead) had 4 back up singers, each with props and photos to help move the story (video of RENT: Live on Broadway's "Over the Moon is Here, if you cannot view it by email)


I also liked how they included everyone in the choreography for "Santa Fe", when traditionally it would be 4 or 5 dancers. I also loved the various Mimi and Benny interjections throughout Act 1. Contrasting, Mimi and Roger's chemistry was on point. Adding on, I loved how natural the blocking seemed to be.

Onto something I didn't like... the opening.

Traditionally, you would have the ensemble come out onto the stage before Mark begins the show. This production didn't. Instead, the director just had Mark walk on and begin the show. It was a unique choice, but I lost the feel of "okay, here we go". It just gave off an odd feel.

Angel and Collins, as well as Maureen and Joanne, could have had better chemistry.

The show itself was (overall) great. The message was the same, and I got goosebumps in spots where I never got them before. I laughed, I got sad, I had a great time.

If you have a chance to see RENT anywhere, or even another show at Curtain Call, do it. You won't regret it.

"Thank you Jonathan Larson!"- that guy after the first performance of RENT on Broadway (which I yelled during bows of Curtain Call's production)
-Nathan Clift, 17, Trumbull High School
President of the Youth Board

No comments:

Post a Comment