Tuesday, April 7, 2015

REVIEW: On the Town

One of our newer youth board members, Kieran Brown, attended the musical revival of On the Town on February 22nd.

"My family and I went to New York to see the new Broadway musical "On the Town." Not far from the theater district we bumped into the cast of Matilta and Gaten Matarazzo, who plays Gavroche in Les Mis. We chatted with the kids for a little about their Broadway lives, performing on the Tonys etc. So cool!"- Kieran
While the musical had two revivals that were short lived, this revival is a hit! The New York Times (the article is here) is raving about it. The cast album is out now.

What is On the Town about?
On the Town follows the story of 3 sailors and what happens when they have 24 hours to see all the sights that they heard about from their families. Of course, they meet women and it is turn after turn of excitement. Leonard Bernstein (who composed West Side Story along with Stephen Sondheim) composes the memorable songs of the production.

My sister, Nina, saw this show in November with the high school choir. I was unable to go, for I was helping out with the THS Fall Play that day. My sister isn't as into musicals and theater in general as I am, but she loved it. She came home and told me all about the show, the story and how funny it was, everything. This was the first musical she had seen without anyone in the family, but she had a fantastic time. One thing she never stopped talking about were a few roles: The voice teacher, the taxi driver, an old lady. More important to the show, my sister couldn't stop freaking out over the choreography.

My sister isn't a dancer, but she has friends that are. They soon became ashamed of their dancing after watching this show. Based upon the clips I have seen, it is intense and energetic, and what more could you ask for?

The musical is playing at the Lyric Theater in NYC. It is still running, and audiences cannot stop talking about the magic this team made.
-Nathan Clift
President of the Youth Board

No comments:

Post a Comment