Sunday, April 28, 2013

Broadway Review: Jersey Boys

Friday, April 26th, 2013, I went to go see the Broadway musical Jersey Boys. It completely deserved the Tony Award for Best Musical. The Arrangements, Choreography, Sets, Costumes, and the book were only parts of this masterpiece. What else do you need? An amazing cast with 4 strong leading men to play the 4 Seasons. In the current cast, the 4 Seasons where: Andy Karl as Tommy DeVito, Nathan Schmidt as Nick Massi, Drew Gehling as Bob Gaudio, and John Lloyd Young as Frankie Valli.

The show takes us through the evolution of the 4 Seasons, from them singing under a lamp post in New Jersey to Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons. The last time I listened to the soundtrack, I got unrealistic chills. When I saw the stage production, I got even more unrealistic chills. It is one of the finest shows Broadway has ever produced. One of the coolest things in the show was when they divided the acts into seasons. Spring and Summer was in Act 1, with Fall and Winter in Act 2. Each of the characters of the original Four Seasons narrated each season. Tommy was Spring, Bob was Summer, Nick was Fall and Frankie was Winter.


So much work had to be put into this show. The research was the greatest aspect. The costumes had to be exact, the voices had to be almost exact, the choreography had to be the same. The show amazed not only me, but many others. "I didn't think I was going to like it," Julia Ilea, a junior in high school, said after the show, "but the show was perfectly executed and I just fell in love with it."

Jersey Boys is playing in the August Wilson Theatre in New York City. I highly recommend it.
~Nathan Clift, 15, Trumbull High School, Vice President of the NPT Youth Board

No comments:

Post a Comment