Sunday, May 12, 2013

Movie Review: "42 - The True Story of an American Legend"

Last Saturday, a few friends and I had the pleasure of seeing the brand new movie 42. I was a bit skeptical at first, assuming that it would be a rather long and boring documentary-type of film, but after about 10 minutes in I realized that my assumptions were very wrong. 42 had an excellent and entertaining story to it, full of both humor and struggle, and all the while staying true to the actual events that happened to Jackie Robinson, the first African American to play in Major League Baseball. Based on my prior knowledge about the story of Jackie Robinson, I could tell that this movie was very realistic, and I also learned a lot about his life that I didn't know before. Although it was sad at times, the majority of the movie managed to be light and humorous. I also really enjoyed the fact that the director, Brian Helgeland, really embraced the spirit of the 1940's and made it seem as if the movie was actually taking place in that time period. I also applaud all of the actors, especially those who played Jackie (Chadwick Boseman) and his wife, Rachel (Nicole Beharie). I was surprised that they could find so many good actors who were also talented at baseball! The only negative critiques I could provide are that the length of the movie, being over two hours long, was a bit extensive, and the fact that it was a bit old fashioned and very sports-involved made it appealing to only select crowds. Overall, I thought the movie was great and I would definitely recommend it to everyone that I know!

- Shaina Arsenault, 15 years old
Joseph A. Foran High School

No comments:

Post a Comment