Sunday, May 5, 2013

UMich SMTD presents Crazy For You

I spent my April vacation on a crazy road trip of college tours galore. My final visit was to the University of Michigan, which has a fantastic and very well-known musical theatre program. The original plan was to drive home that night. Instead, we got to see the programs production of Crazy For You at the Power Center. I knew the show was based on the music of George and Ira Gershwin, but that was about all I knew. So it was great to come into the theatre with an open mind. I was completely blown away by the talent among the cast. The singing was top-notch, the dancing was incredible, and the acting, of course, was mesmerizing.The sound from the orchestra pit was amazing and so professional sounding. The quality of the production was even more impressive, knowing that the sets, costumes, lights and sound were all made and run by students. It was a Broadway-quality show. I had the privilege of getting to know the two stars of the show, L'ogan J'ones (who played Bobby Child) and Mary Little (who played Polly Baker). They were so humble and excited that I came to see their show. When I expressed interest in the program, they were more than happy to answer my questions, and told me that I "better audition in the fall, or we'll be mad." College applications are still a few months away, but there's no doubt in my mind what my first choice will be!
-Matt Sweeney, 16, Stamford High School, President of the NPT Youth Board


No comments:

Post a Comment