Thursday, January 17, 2013

Masterclass - Robin DeJesus

This afternoon, I had the incredible opportunity to work with two-time Tony nominee Robin de Jesus. He has performed on Broadway as Sonny in In the Heights, Angel in Rent and Jacob in La Cage aux Folles. I never would have expected him to come to Stamford High School to hold an audition workshop, and work one-on-one with us on our perspective audition songs for Guys and Dolls. He was the most enthusiastic and  one of the nicest people I have ever met. I'll admit, I was extremely nervous to sing my 32-bar cut of "Lonely Town" from On The Town in front of someone like him. But he was so excited to work with me, and gave me the simplest and most effective feedback. I applied his feedback the second time I sang the song, and I immediately could tell the difference. It was such an incredible experience, and I am unbelievably grateful for his time. Thank you, Robin!

-Matt, 16
Stamford High School

No comments:

Post a Comment