Monday, January 21, 2013

Thoroughly Modern Millie: Inside out

     This past weekend, I had the opportunity to participate in Lighthouse Youth Theatre's production of Thoroughly Modern Millie at Yorktown Stage, as Rita (Priscilla Girl) and a Stenographer. This was my first time performing with this theatre and I feel as if it was a great learning experience. The director John Fanelli and choreographer Jesse Pellegrino had high expectations and they really produced a great show. Unfortunately, I was sick with the flu during tech week and was unable to make any of the rehearsals. John and Jesse were so understanding and helped me catch up on everything I missed. Luckily, I was healthy for the show and able to perform.
     "In the fast-paced 1920s, a girl from Kansas moves to New York City to marry a rich man.  She samples the "thoroughly modern" flapper life, makes friends, finds unexpected romance and nearly gets caught up in a white slavery ring in this stage version of the 1967 film musical" (playbillvault.com).
     High school student Skylar says, "The story line was difficult to follow but the quality of the performers was amazing." Adult audience member Lynnette says, "The costumes and the dancing was very true to the 1920's setting."
     Lighthouse Youth Theatre's motto is "Changing lives one show at a time." Working with these choreographers, directors, and fellow cast mates was life changing. I made many new friends and I plan on having many other LYT productions in my future.
-Shay LaRusso
 15
 Norwalk High School







No comments:

Post a Comment